Bozeman Daily Chronicle
City Hall Reporter | Nov. 2014 - Present
Covering local government and land use planning in one of America’s fastest-growing micropolitan cities.
- Producing a solutions-minded feature series exploring the implications of population growth and planning policy
- Keeping a City Beat blog, featuring web-only graphics, supplemental reporting and aggregation
- Moderated a panel discussion on growth issues for a revenue-generating Chronicle event
- Work routinely incorporates data elements for reporting and storytelling
Great Falls Tribune
Police & Courts Reporter | Nov. 2013 - Oct. 2014
Cut my teeth as a cub reporter rewriting police affidavits in Montana’s third-largest city.
- Covered state and federal court dockets, as well as breaking news
- Published enterprise work on sex crime prosecutions and child protection reforms
Montana State University Exponent
Editor-in-Chief/Publisher, News Editor, Columnist, Reporter | 2008 - 2013
Led a 50-student staff in producing a weekly paper on a campus without a journalism program. Publication was recognized in 2011 as an Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker Finalist.
- Managed a $100,000 annual budget, including $50,000 in advertising revenue
- Prevented the publication’s bankruptcy by rebuilding business operations in the aftermath of a $34,000 budget shortfall
- Developed a publication board to involve media professionals in mentoring and operational oversight, separating the paper’s management from direct supervision by student government
Beaverton High School Student Newspaper
Sept. 2005 - May 2008 (Beaverton, Oregon)
- Served as Co-Editor-in-Chief and News Editor
- Significant work with graphic design and page layout
Montana State University Engineers Without Borders
Student Project Manager, Board Member, Mentor | 2008 - 2013
Served as a key leader in a student-managed international development program working to provide water and sanitation infrastructure at Kenyan primary schools, contributing to the program’s recognition by the Association of Public Land-grant Universities in 2011 as one of the top campus-based service efforts in the nation.
- Traveled to rural Kenya for four extended trips over a two-and-a-half-year span. Recruited, trained and managed project teams on three trips
- Led efforts to implement a locally managed water distribution system serving more than 1,000 people
- Helped raise $100,000 annually through donations and grants
- Mentored three generations of student members to help them take on responsibility for managing international construction projects
Crow Environmental Health Steering Committee
Project Associate, Intern | 2011 - 2013
Contributed to an NIH and USEPA-funded community-based research project, looking at health concerns around water quality on the Crow Indian Reservation in Southeast Montana. Duties included fieldwork, lab work, outreach, data management, literature review and grant application development.
- Digitized 50 years of historical well test data to develop a Geographic Information System allowing identification of potential domestic water supply hazards
- Traveled door-to-door in an effort to counsel residents on health implications of well test results
- Attended the 2013 Community-Based Participatory Research Institute at San Francisco State University
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Montana State University
2008 - 2013 (Bozeman, Montana)
Completed a demanding analytical curriculum as the top graduate in my program.
- Water resource management/environmental engineering focus
- Independent research projects in sociology, economics and project management
- Honors thesis: Engagement Dynamics in MSU Student Organizations
MSU Exponent Publication Board
2015 - Present
Serving on a collegiate publication advisory board, providing strategic level support and oversight for a student-managed business.
Omprakash Education through Global Engagement
2014 - 2016
Mentored Florida State University students through a distance learning platform, helping them prepare for international service learning trips.
Rhodes Scholarship Finalist
Invited to interview for a scholarship to pursue graduate studies at Oxford University.
Eagle Scout Rank, Boy Scouts of America
Spent the better parts of my youth tromping around in Pacific Northwest forests, hiking, camping and staffing resident summer camps. Also taught several dozen preteen boys to tie knots.