Aug. 2017 – present
Montana-based freelance reporter, data designer and entrepreneur.
- Produced Montana Ramble, a weekly travel newsletter with dispatches from communities across the state, Aug - Oct. 2017
- Developed and pitched a business plan for a Montana-scope nonprofit news outlet, securing grant funding for a pilot project
- Established a side business selling prints of western US landscape maps, ericdietrichdesign.com
- Work published by the Missoula Independent, Montana Free Press, Mountain Outlaw and High Country News
Solutions Journalism Network
Project Reporter | Oct. 2017 - Aug. 2018
Served as a Montana-based team member for a national journalism nonprofit working with High Country News magazine and a dozen western Montana publications to produce collaborative feature packages of solutions-focused stories on rural economic development and mental health services. Work included reporting, social media promotion, audience research and helping weekly newspaper editors put on town hall-style engagement events.
Bozeman Daily Chronicle
City Hall Reporter | Nov. 2014 - July 2017
Covered local government and land use planning in one of America’s fastest-growing micropolitan cities.
- Produced a solutions-minded feature series exploring the implications of population growth and planning policy
- Work routinely incorporated data techniques for reporting and storytelling
Great Falls Tribune
Police & Courts Reporter | Nov. 2013 - Oct. 2014
Cut my teeth as a cub reporter rewriting police affidavits in Montana’s third-largest city.
- Covered state and federal court dockets, as well as breaking news
- Published enterprise work on sex crime prosecutions and child protection reforms
Montana State University Exponent
Editor-in-Chief/Publisher, News Editor, Columnist, Reporter | 2008 - 2013
Led a 50-student staff in producing a weekly paper on a campus without a journalism program. Publication was recognized in 2011 as an Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker Finalist.
- Managed a $100,000 annual budget, including $50,000 in advertising revenue
- Prevented the publication’s bankruptcy by rebuilding business operations in the aftermath of a $34,000 budget shortfall
- Developed a publication board to involve media professionals in mentoring and operational oversight, separating the paper’s management from direct supervision by student government
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Montana State University
2008 - 2013 (Bozeman, Montana)
Completed a demanding analytical curriculum as the top graduate in my program.
- Water resource management/environmental engineering focus
- Independent research projects in sociology, economics and project management
- Honors thesis: Engagement Dynamics in MSU Student Organizations
Montana State University Engineers Without Borders
Student Project Manager, Board Member, Mentor | 2008 - 2013
Served as a key leader in a student-managed international development program working to provide water and sanitation infrastructure at Kenyan primary schools, contributing to the program’s recognition by the Association of Public Land-grant Universities in 2011 as one of the top campus-based service efforts in the nation.
Crow Environmental Health Steering Committee
Project Associate, Intern | 2011 - 2013
Contributed to an NIH and USEPA-funded community-based research project, looking at health concerns around water quality on the Crow Indian Reservation in Southeast Montana. Duties included fieldwork, lab work, outreach, data management, literature review and grant application development.
MSU Exponent Publication Board
2015 - Present
Serving on a collegiate publication advisory board, providing strategic level support and oversight for a student-managed business.
Rhodes Scholarship Finalist
Eagle Scout Rank, Boy Scouts of America