- D3 to produce charts and maps for print and web.
- Mapping libraries including Leaflet and Mapbox GL for mapping-based web applications.
- React for web interactive development.
- Express for back-end data management and API server development.
- Build tools including Babel and Webpack.
Python for data wrangling
I’ve used Python as a go-to tool for data cleaning and analysis since 2014. I’m proficient with Pandas/Numpy and have also used the language in concert with geospatial analysis libraries like Geopandas and GDAL/OGR.
- Pandas/Numpy/SciPy - Used with iPython Notebooks for data cleaning and analysis. An example here, detailing the code behind a county-level property analysis identifying major local landowners.
QGIS + PostGIS for geospatial analysis
I routinely use QGIS for viewing and manipulating geospatial data, including the production of static maps for print and web. I occasionally connect QGIS to PostGIS databases for spatial analysis projects.
Adobe Creative Suite for graphic design
Proficient with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign, including vector data graphics with SVG Crowbar- and ai2html-based workflows. Extensive experience with web and print design. Some experience with After Effects for animated video production.
Land use planning
Covered city and county governance for three years in one of the fastest growing small cities in the nation (Bozeman, Montana), with a particular focus on land use policy and politics.
Have written extensively about housing issues including gentrification, subsidized housing development and inclusionary zoning.
Extensive experience working with data from various U.S. Census Bureau and U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis programs. Have also worked with state and local agencies to obtain data sets describing election districts, health care spending and property tax assessments, among other topics.
Spent a year covering state and federal court systems in north-central Montana, writing stories based on law enforcement records, police filings and trial coverage.
Research experience with water quality and sanitation projects in American and East African communities. Reporting experience covering health disparities and mental health systems in Montana.
Spent a year writing about economic development policy in Montana with a particular focus on rural communities.